The Movida nightclub from London is opening in Dubai at the end of this month, but hopefully it won’t be anything like the notoriously bad one in London. Aside from the usual complaints about overpriced, tacky West End nightclubs, it seems that the feedback concerns a shockingly disturbing racist policy.
Here are some of the comments:
- AVOID - ESPECIALLY if you’re in a mixed group, i.e. with black and Asian friends (they’re harassed at the door or don’t get in at all, which is profoundly gross).
- They are definitely racist - no matter how much money you bring, and how many tables you are willing to book. Loads of prejudice! I felt really frustrated on my birthday, having nowhere else to go after booking 2 weeks in advance with Movida and being rejected at the door… with half of my guests (all white) inside.
- Maybe it was because we are Indian, because I walked down the road and came back and saw the same lady letting in groups of white males with no questions.
- Racist and rude.
- This club is racist - young black men are denied entry 99% of the time, unless they are a pro footballer or well-known music or TV star…
- Prejudiced, horrible doormen. This club deserves closing down!
- I’d like to second most of the reviews for Movida. It has to be the most pretentious club I’ve ever been to, with the rudest staff I’ve had the misfortune to be served by.
- Movida has to be the WORST club I have been to… and I have been to some bad clubs! If you’re not a ‘VIP’ (caged animal) you are literally treated like crap
- Pretentious hole. Full of gold-digging girls from Romford looking for an Arabian sugar daddy.
Although in the interest of some balance, there were a some people who liked it. Here’s one comment…
- £28 for 2 drinks. Expensive, yes. But it does actually keep out the riff-raff.